Serving Canterbury since 1888
Harmans’ long association with Canterbury’s legal community began in 1888, when Thomas DeRenzy Harman, the son of Richard Harman, a passenger on one of the First Four Ships, established his own practice.
Over the next 100-odd years the firm was known by a number of name variations and occupied several different premises throughout Christchurch and the wider Canterbury region. Throughout that time, one constant was the presence of the Harman family, with direct descendants of Thomas DeRenzy holding prominent positions within the firm until the retirement of Colin Harman in 2009.
The firm has enjoyed continuous growth since the late 1960s, consistently expanding its capabilities to meet the evolving needs of Cantabrians. In 2003 Harmans purchased Papanui Law, and, following the devastating Christchurch earthquakes of 2011, have occupied the premises at 485 Papanui Road which accompanied that acquisition.
If there’s one feature of our business which has contributed to our longevity and continued success more than anything else, it’s been our willingness to adapt. We’re a proactive, forward-thinking law firm, continually looking for opportunities to develop the scope of our services, and always welcoming input and feedback from our incredibly loyal clients.
We’re immensely proud of the role we play in our local community, and remain passionately committed to Christchurch and the broader Canterbury area.